Friday, January 9, 2015

The Importance of Joy in Hard Times and Everyday Life

Image created from a photograph
taken by Mary Katherine May
JOY! PEACE!  No one should ever underestimate the importance of joy in whatever is happening in yourself in life.  You may be having a real hard time right now and having joy may seem impossible.

Intentionally pursuing moments of joy, however, can help you through the hard times.

In the most dire, awful times when drained and exhausted from grief, even then find joy--a few moments or a time when peace and contentment, warmth and love is greater than the circumstances in which you find yourself.

When it's really hard the joy may not be filled with vivacious laughter that bounces to the ceiling and back. The moment, though, may be an oasis of quiet peace and harmony in the middle of chaotic times.

Joy is relative because, for example, joy out of context with circumstances would be unhealthy. Experiencing joy will actually ease some of the tension when grieving over a loss, a tragic moment, a confrontation, a loss, a catastrophe, bad news, bad health.

Joy can, and should be sought out.  Joy doesn't automatically come to you and land in your lap, nor is it necessarily someone else's responsibility to give you joy.

Here are a few examples of what I do when my heart is grieved.
  • When I would have something challenging to do my mom would tell me, "I know you can do it." I think about her telling me this and it makes me stronger.
  • In the summer I would take our old rowboat a little ways from shore, set the anchor, and let the gentle rocking of the boat and the warm sun soothe my spirit.
  • I read or recall Psalm 23, The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want... and imagine myself in green pastures, by call waters, before a beautiful table set just for me, being anointed with healing oil, and walking hand and hand with my Lord, Jesus Christ.
  • When nothing is right I imagine a place where everything is right and what it would look like.
  • I listen silently in my head to a favorite piece of music.
  • I open my Bible and read, read, read.
  • I take care to make sure I look my best.
  • I do something for somebody else.
Quotes that Encourage Joy
LINK to JOY quotes
In her diary, Anne Frank wrote, I don't think of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains. Her life hidden away was the same day after day with a rigid routine, yet she looked for and found joy.

Corrie Ten Boom who suffered and endured, and overcame said, when we are powerless do to a thing, it is a great joy that we can come and step inside the ability of Jesus.

Joy does not simply happen to us. We have to choose joy and keep choosing it every day.  A quote from Henri Nouwen.

10 Scripture Passages from the Holy Bible That Encourage Joy, Peace and Happiness
These verses have helped me through hard times, and they may do the same for you. ...Mary
  1. Crying may last for a night, but joy comes with the new day. (Psalm 30:5b NLT)
  2. He will not allow your foot to be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, He who keeps Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. (Psalm 121:3,4 NKJV)
  3. Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls." (Matthew 11:28 NLT)
  4. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along. (Psalm 40:2 NLT)
  5. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world give. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (John 14:27 NIV)
  6. Cast your burden on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never permit the righteous to be moved. (Psalm 55:22 RSVCE)
  7. He takes care of his people like a shepherd. He gathers them like lambs in his arms and carries them close to him. (Isaiah 40:11a NCV)
  8. I praise you because you made me in an amazing and wonderful way. What you have done is wonderful. I know this very well. (Psalm 139:14 NCV)
  9. The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside still waters. He restoreth my soul... (Psalm 23:1-3a KJV)
  10. I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me. (Psalm 3:5 NIV)
This blog post article by Mary Katherine May of QualityMusicandBooks.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment