Friday, January 30, 2015

Samuel Lover The Dream Valley of the Shadow of Death Jesus Waiting

Samuel Lover
A Selection from Samuel Lover's Last Composition
The Dream.
Samuel Lover’s Last Composition
It has been my habit for a long time, that, amongst the private prayers I address to God before going to rest, this passage has always been present: “Whenever it shall be Thy pleasure to call away Thy unworthy servant, may Thy rod and Thy staff comfort me through the Valley of the Shadow of Death!”  Never had that prayer been more fervently made than on the evening of the 21st of May, 1868, in Jersey, when I knelt down by the bedside.

In the middle of the night, or rather Friday morning, the 22d, I had a dream. 

I thought I had entered the Valley of the Shadow.

It was a deep gorge and narrow, and high cliffs, on either hand, rendered it also dark and shadowy, and as the valley lay before me, further in advance, still deeper and darker it grew, till, in the extreme distance, all form was lost, and nothing but intense darkness prevailed.

Just then, relieved upon that background of gloom, suddenly I saw Jesus Christ, in wondrous radiance, surrounded by sheep.

I woke the moment my senses were impressed with this lovely, glorious, faith-inspiring vision; and oh! what a comfort it was to me thus to wake!  My bodily suffering, even, was relieved, when my poor soul was thus strengthened.

It seemed to me as if my prayer, made that night, had been heard and granted by my merciful and gracious God, and that I need not fear the Valley of the Shadow of Death, where Christ Himself was waiting to care for the sheep.

Source: Samuel Lover: A Biographical Sketch and Selections from His Writings and Correspondence by Andrew James Symington. London: Blackie and Son, 1880.

This blog post created by Mary Katherine May of QualityMusicandBooks.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment